Three Berks Libraries recognized as PA Assoc. Celebrate libraries that aim for the stars
April 3-9, 2022 is National Library Week, a time to highlight the essential role libraries, librarians and library workers play in transforming lives and strengthening communities. In honor of this week, the Pennsylvania Library Association is announcing the PA Forward® Star Library winners for the first quarter of 2022, featuring libraries that are committed to providing quality literacy programs to their communities.
The theme for this year’s National Library Week is “Connect to Your Library”, which promotes the idea that libraries are places to connect to technology using broadband, computers and other resources. Libraries also provide opportunities to connect with media, programs, ideas, and courses, in addition to books. More importantly, libraries also connect communities to each other.
Libraries of all types continue to go above and beyond to keep their communities connected by expanding resources and embracing inclusion in their programming, resources, and collections. Pennsylvania Libraries are making a difference in people’s lives by providing electronic learning resources like online homework help and Wi-Fi access for students and workers who don’t have Internet access at the House.
“Yes, you can go to your local library and check out books, but these nimble institutions are proving day after day that they offer more than books,” Buker added. “Libraries offer the world to those who walk through their doors. It is an honor to recognize these efforts with the PA Forward® Star Library designation. Congratulations to all of our participating Star Libraries.
PA Forward®, which was launched statewide in 2012, leverages five key literacies – basic, informational, civic and social, health and financial – to help individuals improve their overall quality of life. To continue to help libraries use PA Forward® to demonstrate their entire library offering, in January 2017, the Association launched the Star Library program statewide. Star Library Recognition provides support to libraries that participate and integrate PA Forward® knowledge into their programming activities. Program topics can include information such as retirement planning (financial literacy) to more physically active programs such as walking book club discussions (civic and social literacy and health literacy).
Libraries are recognized by their peers for achieving the program’s bronze, silver and gold level benchmarks. While one star is awarded at the bronze and gold levels, a total of five stars are awarded in the silver category – one silver star for each of PA Forward®’s five literacies. For each Silver Star award, a number appears indicating the number of Silver Stars earned to date.
Stars are awarded on a quarterly basis during the calendar year and recognition is for the highest level achieved in the program at the time of award. The libraries listed below are those that have achieved a star for the first time or a new star level between January 1 and March 31, 2022. For more information on the Star Library program, visit https://paforward.org/pa-forward-star-program/.
The next round of rewards will be announced after July 6, 2022.
The list of winners, by county, follows:
- Bethel Park Public Library – Gold, upkeep
- Bridgeville Public Library – Gold, maintenance
- Allegheny Valley Community Library – Gold, Maintenance
- South Fayette Township Library – Gold, maintenance
- Whitehall Public Library – Gold, Maintenance
- Wyomissing Public Library – Gold
- Muhlenberg Community Library – Gold, Maintenance
- Morgantown Village Library, PA – Gold, Maintenance
- Zelienople Public Library – Silver, 4
- Center County Historical Library and Museum – Silver, 5
- Branch of the central hall area, silver, 4
County of Chester
- Kennett Bookcase – Silver, 5
- McCord Memorial Library – Silver, 2
- Grove Family Library – Gold, Maintenance
- Punxsutawney Memorial Library – Silver, 1
- Adamstown Area Library – Gold
- Mannheim Township Public Library – Silver, 3
- Abington Community Library – Gold, Maintenance
- Valley Community Library – Gold, Maintenance
County of Lebanon
- Annville Free Library, Gold
- Allentown Public Library – Gold, Maintenance
- Ludington Public Library – Gold, Maintenance
- Martin Memorial Library – Gold, maintenance
Starting in January 2020, once a library has achieved the Gold level of the PA Forward® Star Library Program, libraries will now be able to take steps to maintain their PA Forward® Gold Star status. You can find more information about this process at www.paforwardstarlibraries.org under the Getting Started tab.